Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Nickel Roll Hunting (Canadian Version)

Greetings Everyone,

I am writing this post from Nova Scotia Canada.  We arrived Monday evening after driving for most of the day.  We left Monday morning at 12:30am to arrive at a ferry in New Brunswick, CA by 12pm.  So with no sleep and thankfully no traffic we drove up the east coast through the morning, arrived at the ferry with time to spare, and made it to the house some time around 7pm or so.

3 $100 boxes of Nickels, 2 $25 boxes of Pennies
We were meeting other family up here in NS, and it was nice to find a couple nickel and penny boxes at the house.  I have just made it through all the nickels.  The percent of 99% nickel coins was around 10% of $200 worth.  I was surprised to find that the 3rd box was a solid 2008 box.  All plastic wrapped and looking brand new.  Probably the bank ordered it a while back and never left the bank since.  I haven't heard many people reporting these types of boxes.  I wouldn't think it rare to get a solid year box, but perhaps now that it's four years old maybe it is.

Solid box of BU 2008 CA Nickels
Aside from the minor set back of getting skunked on a box of nickels, the others weren't so bad.  I wasn't expecting to get solid rolls of 99% nickel or anything.  Just trying to get a little stash of 99% nickel coins before the Royal Canadian Mint's (RCM) recycling program goes and removes all that remains from circulation.  It was nice to get what I did.  It would take forever to find this many 99% nickels in the boxes of US nickels I search back in the states.  At best I just usually find the ones from 1982-present (non-99% nickel years).


The weather up here on Tuesday was pretty dreary.  It rained on and off most of the day, which kept us inside.  Perfect weather to do a puzzle or if you have rolls of coins to Coin Roll Hunt (CRH).  So yesterday I was able to go through all the nickels and not have to pass up on a beach day or hiking trip into the woods.


I still have to go through the $50 in Pennies.  Ever since I sold my Ryedale I've been almost avoiding any and all pennies that I would need to sort by hand.  Hopefully I can get around to sorting them, since these are Canadian coins, and the death of the penny isn't far away.

Happy Coin Roll Hunting, from Nova Scotia!

I think we're going to make today a beach day even if the temps don't go above 21 degrees...

~JobIII

5 comments:

  1. Good job - and your results are pretty typical for Ni% in my area too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be getting another couple boxes of Canadian nickels later this month. I just hope that none of the boxes are the brand new variety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are you purchasing large boxes of coins like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jimmy,

      I was in Canada when I made that post. I believe I stopped at a Scotia bank and a TD Canada. It's easier to get them than it is to return them. But unfortunately about half of all the boxes I purchased were brand new nickels.

      Thanks for commenting, sorry it took so long to respond.
      ~JobIII

      Delete
  4. I also want to collect them but I am in india , is there any way I can purchase these rolls

    ReplyDelete